Friday, 17 May 2013

They tried to make me go to rehab and I said no no no

So my mum has currently been doings quite a lengthy stint in rehab. It's been a tough year for us all. Any way a few weeks ago we were off to drop My mum off at a new rehab centre. There was me, my mum and a good family friend around the same age as my mum. They pass on briefly before you arrive notes about you and your history ect. We arrived and were in a bit of a flurry unloading mums stuff when the manager arrives extends his hand to me and says " welcome to your new home, you have made the right choice to over come addictions" 

Not being funny but do I bloody look like a hardcore smack head. By my mums own additions she knows she looks the part. We both have a mutual love of trainers and mum turned to me a while ago and said " haven't you noticed that druggies always have nice trainers, I like to think I just have style though" 

I was so flustered by the comment I'd didn't speak and looked dumbstruck. Mum interjected " this is my daughter " He looked puzzled. His face suddenly turned into s something like a children's tv presenter and he lowered his voice into a patronising child friendly voice. " Hello milly, are you here to drop mummy off at her new home" 

EUUURGH MAAH GEEERD


 I often get asked if you can be part downsyndrome or if downsyndrome runs in the family. It wasn't  until this event that I began  to wonder if people were wondering if I was part downsyndrome or had special needs. My mum has told me I am special but I'm beginning to wonder  how she means it. You know when you sing in your head  and you know you definitely sounds like beyonce but when it actually comes out it sounds like a cat being strangled.  This situation left me wondering like some strange arty film about 2 parallel worlds maybe a bit eternal sunshine of the spotless world. I did genuinely get In a mind bending tizz on the hour journey back.  I just sat there thinking all this time I've been thinking I'm pretty mainstreamed but for all I know I could be speaking like Stephen hawking and have think that my special needs day care centre is actually fashion school in London. 

I mean I'm pretty sure I'd don't have downsyndrome and or special needs but I guess there is just really no way of knowing. Milly seems pretty content in herself.  I know she knows she is different but I don't necessarily think she thinks she has special needs or downsyndrome. She just seems pretty content as who she is.

I still get a bit worked up about it sometimes. I had really bad de ja vu when everyone was looking at me on the tube the other week. I did realise when I went to the loo it was because I had toothpaste on my face- how can we ever be sure though .

No comments:

Post a Comment