So as it happen in the space of 72 hours I travelled from London to Liverpool, Liverpool to Dublin and back again in a day, Liverpool to Halifax picking up the sister on the way and continouing with the arduous 5 hour journey to Norwich with her to see my Mum for 5 days over Christmas. There are many highlights for you sadistic readers that take joy from a in reading about my sisters disability that simultaneously are horric lowlights for me.
Mum had left me and Milly in charge of buying our own Christmas presents this year so we ventured out into Norwich on christmas eve to do what Santa was too lazy to do. Milly, in previous years has been an out an out christmas fanatic starting earlier and earlier ad getting more and more obsessive. I will talk about Christmas another time. This year she was not so bothered.
Milly is an out and out Music lover. Like a moth to a flame she is a downs kid to a beat. She's in for the kill throwing jazz hands and grabbing air like there is no tomorrow. A busker to her is her own personal street rave and to be frankly honest she dont give a crap what other people think.
Up north the standard of busking I have to admit is markedly poor in comparison to Norwich on christmas eve. We had scored an insane amount of coke that morning (diet) and with that cocky swagger only a cokehead has she hip thrust and side stepped her way through mariachi bands and quartets often drawing a bigger crowd than the buskers themselves. By jove I spent at least £15 on buskers that day, a fee they should have paid my sister for bringing them work. Every corner we turned you could see her fingers twitch and foot tap at the sound of her next fix. Often I would turn around and exprience that heart in mouth moment thinking that she had dissappeared only to see a murky figure 50m away doing a run I can only describe as "phoebe from friends" towards a man with a trumpet.
I dont often get embarrassed about my sister. It's more the things she does. When its just us two together , you have no one to turn and have a laugh with- a bit like when falling over in public on your own or with a friend. Sometimes you just have to like it, lump it or embrace it and get your phone out.
I dare say Milly was a hit in Norwich and got cheers and aplauses. She piroutted ( quite literally) with tramps and always took a bow at the end of her performance. You think she stayed for a chorus or song but she stayed for 2 or 3 and when I made the mistake of trying to usher her away mid step-side-step I got the evils and she screamed lie a banshee.
So anyway after a day of not much shopping and alot of dancing we visited a friend in a bookshop (The Works for any of you that know Norwich -Bookshop Ben for any of you that know Ben)
of which my sister decided to have a rest on the edge of a large table and flip the whole unattached table top over. A feat my friend ben has told me has never been done and I'm thinking will never be done again...
Directly outside there was a rather strange man. I have now come to understand he is a minor Celebrity in Norwich. They know him as "The Puppet Man of Norwich." He is a busker with hand puppets of which he flaps around wildly while barely singing into a microphone. By far the poorest of todays entertainers. After a few twirls, thrusts and lunges to Superstition by Stevie Wonder Milly goes in for the Kill. As the opening beats resound on his crackly karoake set, fueled by todays aplauses and cokehead ego, Milly grabs the microphone and full on rocks out to BILLIE JEAN.
JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH.
Puppet man gets a bit petrubed and tries to grab the mic back. I make eye contact and she knows she in for a decking if she doesnt hand it back. She hands it back, by this time puppet man is well pissed off and well carries on dancing.
After a bit of research puppet man turns out to be more than a bit of a celebretie but also a suspected sex pest.
She dont half pick em does our Mil.
check him out on youtube.
Some links if your interested in puppet man he even has his own website,wikipedia and bbc new story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_Puppet_Man
http://www.norwichpuppetman.co.uk/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/articles/2007/08/29/feature_norwich_puppet_man_feature.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/articles/2008/08/29/puppet_man_20080828_feature.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBU1wAHGx8E
check this one out he's a right ladies man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpySR7EjyVA
No comments:
Post a Comment